Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Responding to Alex

Similarly to Alex, I did not question the information in Gawande’s article before reading Goer’s harsh critique. I was shocked to read about the dangers of childbirth and relieved to read that by the 20th century, “the problems of human birth seemed to have been largely solved.” I was impressed and comforted by the medical progress and felt secure knowing about the modern birthing techniques. Following this seemingly positive historical progression of childbirth, I was surprised to read the intense critique of Gawande’s article by Goer. Goer is a strong advocate for natural childbirth and supports at home midwives and birthing coaches. Strongly criticizing the rising rates of cesareans and medical interventions during childbirth, Goer lists the many dangers that arise when cesareans are used as opposed to vaginal births. Although I do not believe cesareans should be performed unless they absolutely need to be, I cannot sympathize with Goer’s complete rejection of modern medical techniques. Ultimately, the decision comes down to the woman in her particular situation, and I can only be thankful that the modern medical practices are available should I one day need them. Although both authors make valid points, the decision ultimately comes down to the woman and her choices. The story of Elizabeth Rourke highlights just how difficult these choices can be to make and how they cannot be predicted before the birthing process begins. Initially, Rourke, a doctor herself, was all for a natural birth without any pain medications. As the birthing process wore on however, and the complications and pain increased, she chose to opt for pain relief medication. Perhaps her case was not the norm, but still it is a reminder that every case is unique, and ultimately what matters is that women have the right and opportunity to choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment